Monday, September 19, 2011

Serving with Humility

I teach the youth at our church!  On Sunday our lesson was about serving others.  We started out the lesson discussing what some of our unique abilities are.  I asked each youth, "What is something you do that everyone can't do?" Of course we had lots of responses: play a musical instrument, sing, speak in front of a crowd, etc. 

We then began to read the scripture for this lesson: Romans 12: 3-16.

Romans 12:3-4  For I say , through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.  For we have many members in one body, but  all the members do not have the same function.

To demonstrate how to put others before yourself, we washed each other's feet.  We discussed how Jesus humbled himself and washed His disciples feet as an act of love.  What an amazing experience this must have been for the disciples.


Me washing Charlie's feet



Meredith washing Hannah's feet

Charlie washing his sister, Meredith's, feet.  How sweet!!

Then we discussed that we are all a part of the body of Christ but we are equipped with different spiritual gifts. We each have a different function within the body!  This was a great lesson for all of us!

Also last week as Ethan and I were traveling to get our haircut we listened to KLOVE as we always do in our car.  He was just a singing in the back seat.  He has always had a little speech problem but as he sang all the words were just as plain as they could be.  I just thanked God that my children can praise Him through song.  What a great gift!!!

This is one our new favorite songs on KLOVE!




3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the fact that you shared that song :) Its one of my favorites and I haven't been able to find it! Thanks Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! :) Fun and upbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foot washing is a beautiful thing:)I also have a son who has always had a little speech problem but he is our singer! He sings all day and has a great voice:) I am so glad to see you serving in your church like you do Tina. You have always done that. I remember going to church with you and singing in your choir right along side you, even though I couldn't sing at all:)

    ReplyDelete